Hixson Open House 2014:
HMS Open House will be on Wednesday, August 27th from 6:30-8:15pm
During our middle school open house, parents will have the opportunity to "live" sample version of your child's daily schedule. Student schedules will be disseminated for open house through the following methods:
- Parent portal access to SIS. Parents are able to view and print student schedules via the portal in the SIS system
- Email- the HMS office will use a system within our SIS system to email parents their child's schedule to the email address(es) you have on file with the office
- If you do not have your child's schedule from the email or the parent portal, back up copies of schedules will be available at the main entrance of the school at 6:00 pm before open house begins at 6:30. We anticipate most parents having the schedule ahead of time, so back up schedule lines should not be too long.
HMS Open House Schedule:
6:00- lines begin for back up schedules
6:26- Use your child's schedule to navigate your way to his/her 1st hour class
6:30-6:45- 1st hour- you will hear a message from our Superintendent, Dr. Riss and Dr. Smith. The
remainder of the 10 minutes will be used for learning all about your child's first hour class.
6:49-6:59- 2nd hour
7:03-7:13- 3rd hour
7:17-7:27- 4th hour
7:31-7:41- 5th hour
7:45- 7:55- 6th hour
7:59- 8:09- 7th hour
Special Open House Notes:
- If your child's schedule has PE/Discovery listed, please report to PE and not Discovery. Your child's team teachers will be able to give you a brief overview of Discovery time.
- If your child has GEMS listed on his/her schedule, please report to GEMS in the cafeteria, before Open House begins. Stephanie Gavin will talk about 7th grade curriculum from 6:00-6:15 and 8th grade curriculum from 6:15 until 6:25.
- IF your child is in GFA, please make sure to visit with Mrs. Riggle
Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) Scores will be sent home with students on Monday, August 25th along with a letter explaining the state assessments your child takes each year.
The Missouri Assessment Program assesses students' progress toward proficiency of the state strands of the Missouri Learning Standards using grade level assessments. The score report your child will be bringing home on Monday will explain your child's performance on this state assessment. Please remember that your 7th graders took this MAP assessment as a 6th grader and your 8th graders took this MAP assessment as a 7th grader last spring.
Please help HMS Reach our Goals! :)
At the middle school, we have been moving from selling items for fundraising to an approach our community expressed interest in- simply making any kind of donation to the PTO in support of our programs and instruction in the classroom.
You may donate to our PTO by visiting
and clicking the "donate" button on the right side of the page
2014-2015 HMS Fundraising Goals:
- Our 1:1 technology initiative is our central focus. Our initiative is in phase 1, supplying partial 1:1 chrome book technology for our students in 14-15. We are raising money to facilitate the purchase of the remainder of the chrome book devices.
- Rachel's Challenge: "I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go."
- Field trip support
- Teacher grants for the classroom