Happy New Year

July 7, 2017

Dear Hixson Middle School Families,
Over the course of my amazing time working with children, I’ve learned that the human heart is truly a remarkable organ.  It has the ability to expand and grow in order to make room to hold all the children I have had the privilege of serving over the last eighteen years.  Each child has left an indelible imprint in my life, shaping and changing the way I have approached serving them to meet their needs.  Above all, they have solidified the beliefs I hold around children and schools and drive the vision that I apply to any school community. 

In the coming year, we will begin the work to add to the current landscape of Hixson Middle.  I would like to personally welcome you into the folds of that work.  As a parent who will be sending a child through Webster, I am honored to have the opportunity to contribute to the learning landscape I dream for her.   As an educator, this is what grounds me as I serve children and their families.  It is the lens in which I listen to the ideas and concerns from parents as well as celebrate the moments of joy. 

Middle school is an interesting time for kids-emotionally, socially and physically.   The experiences people have had in middle school span the spectrum from amazing to horrible to just ok.  I hope as we begin to add to the landscape of Hixson, children will leave with a solid foundation academically, emotionally and with a confidence knowing that they truly are the change agents in our world.  Most of all, I hope they will leave knowing they were seen and heard.

To be an educator today requires great vision, courage and grace.  Vision to think outside the box to meet the needs of every child, courage to remove the obstacles that sometimes stand in the way and the grace to model how we advocate with compassion and dignity for ourselves and others.  I believe parenting requires the same, which makes our partnership that much more essential for our children. My door is open and I look forward to collaborating as we begin to create the next chapter in the Hixson narrative.  Please don’t hesitate to reach out to set up a visit or just stop by if you happen to be in the area.  My email is lee.grace@wgmail.org and phone is 314-918-4551.

I hope this summer post finds you relaxing and enjoying the slower pace of life that comes with a break as you spend time with each other.  This post is the first of a bi-monthly blog to share out what’s happening at Hixson and dates for upcoming events.  

With Gratitude,

Grace